When you sign up for any of Phoenix Youth Theatre’s programs, lessons, or events you will be ticking in agreeance to our studio rules, policies, and terms. These are all listed below.
- Behavior Expectations
- Always treat others with courtesy and respect.
- Always treat property (building and everything in it) with care and respect.
- Pick up after yourself after each class/rehearsal.
- If it is not your property/prop, DO NOT touch it.
- Students/actors are responsible for personal items. Please label all belongings.
The following is unacceptable behavior for students, actors and crew members at any PYT class, rehearsal or production and may result in dismissal from the class/production:
- Cursing or offensive language.
- Expressions or jokes which are bigoted or racial in nature.
- Expressions or jokes which are sexual in nature.
- Possession or distribution of printed material which could be considered obscene or of “questionable” content.
- Aggressive physical contact, including hitting, fighting and the like. It is best to keep one’s hands to oneself.
- Stealing or damaging property which belongs to PYT, the rehearsal space, the performance venue or another person.
- Overt public displays of affection.
Our primary responsibility at PYT is to learn about the arts and theatre. Any behavior that distracts from or interferes with this learning process will not be permitted. Infractions of the rules, policies and/or disruption of a class/rehearsal or performance will result in an attempt to help the student/actor adjust their behavior. PYT reserves the right to expel anyone when it is deemed necessary.
- Cell Phone and electronic device usage
Cell Phones and other electronic devices (iPods, games, etc.) must be turned off and left outside the room during class and rehearsals. No texting or phone calls during class/rehearsal – unless it is an emergency and the teacher/director gives permission.
Students/Actors are expected to dress according to the dress code for the class/show they are participating in. This includes attire, shoes and hair. Dress code for a class/show will be included in the class/show description. Students who fail to dress appropriately may be removed from class or rehearsal.
- Family Participation/Volunteer
There are many areas where volunteers are needed as we prepare for a production, both showcases and fully staged musicals and plays. Volunteers may be needed with set building, working on costumes, making/acquiring props, back-stage monitoring for performances, and other duties as they arise. We require each family to participate in helping bring the show to the stage. Specific volunteer requirements will be outlined in show and class descriptions
- Arrival and Departure procedures
Students/Actors must be signed in by a parent/guardian at the reception area when they arrive for class/rehearsal. At the end of class/rehearsal they will be dismissed and then must be signed out before leaving the building. Student/Actors may not leave the building without a parent/guardian present. Students that drive may sign themselves in and out.
- Clean rooms
The PYT facility and other rented performance facilities are always to be kept clean. At no time is it acceptable to leave trash, food, water bottles, shoes, props, costumes, etc. lying on the floor in class/rehearsal rooms, hallways or on stage.
- Food and beverages
Water in a covered container is the only beverage allowed in dance and studio rooms. Students/actors are welcomed and encouraged to bring nut free snacks and meals as needed. Snacks and non-water beverages (covered container) are allowed in the hallway during breaks. Meals should be eaten in the kitchen area.
Phoenix Youth Theatre does not fall under requirements to be a licensed child care facility.
- Tuition, Fees and Memberships
Tuition and Fees are payable in advance for the class or performance period and can be paid as a single payment or as monthly payments spread over the term/show period, with the first payment due at registration. Monthly tuition/fee payments are due by the first of the month. Your account must be current for students/actors to perform in showcases, shows or receive costumes and other keepsakes.
All memberships (‘Academy,’ ‘Pre-Academy,’ ‘Simply Lessons’ and all other products sold in connection with singing lessons and/or the ‘Academy,’ classes and workshops and/or any program paid for by subscription) are paid for on the daily/weekly/termly basis stated when signing up. Payments are taken automatically after the student as agreed when signing up.
Memberships continue until the end of the school year or until the student gives PYT written notice (email or letter) that they wish to stop their monthly payments. Once notice has been received, the subscription will be cancelled and the student will be informed of how many classes/lessons are remaining within that membership payment window.
A preassigned lesson, or membership payment, cannot be cancelled once the membership has started. Refunds are not given for missed lessons or classes. For one to one tuition, the makeup lesson ‘policy’ provides students with value in return for the ‘voice lesson’ element of the membership payment: the student can either a) take the lesson online at the same day and time as the scheduled in person lesson, or b) request to receive a recorded weekly video workout from their coach. This request needs to be received before 24 hours of the lesson start time. Requests sent to [email protected]
Students are not guaranteed a place in any of PYT’s shows or showcases. The Directors, Coaches or those in charge reserve the right to prevent a student from performing in a show.
Be punctual. We expect all students and actors to arrive at least five minutes early, so they can be prepared to begin class/rehearsal on time. When students/actors arrive, they should get prepared (change shoes), go directly to the door of the class/ rehearsal room and wait quietly until called by their teacher/stage manager.
Students/Actors must attend every class or rehearsal for which they are scheduled. In emergency cases or if you are late, contact the teacher or stage manager as soon as possible.
- Missed Classes (for any reason) / Make-Up Classes
There are no designated make-up classes; however, we will provide you a virtual makeup lesson if you desire. Please email [email protected] to request it within 24 hours of the missed class.
- For dance classes, the virtual session will include a warm-up stretch and a combo from a fun musical. The dance combo has a step by step breakdown for learning the choreography. All students have the option to film their dance combo to receive email feedback from their coach.
- For acting classes, the virtual session will include a filmed lesson from the missed class so students will not fall behind with the progression of the curriculum.
Please let us know if you are going to miss a class by calling or texting 480-666-5515.
There are no refunds or credits for missed classes.
- Individual Voice Lesson Cancels and No shows
There are two options for you if and when you can’t make a voice lesson in person.
- If you can’t make it to an in-person lesson at the studio on a particular week but are available at the time, let us know ahead of time (outside of 24 hours before), and we’ll make the arrangements for your coach to give you an online lesson at your usual lesson time, instead.
- If the in-person or virtual lesson cannot be made at all (and we are notified outside of 24 hours before), your coach will record your weekly workout and we’ll send you the video to continue your training with.
- There are no makeup lessons and no remedy for no shows.
- Classes and Rehearsals are closed
Classes and rehearsals are closed. This means that friends & family members may not sit in on rehearsals.
- Canceled Classes
Classes with less than six students may be canceled by PYT, combined, or rescheduled: with refund provided if the class is canceled.
- What if my child is sick for a PYT class, rehearsal, or performance?
Our policy has always been to ask students to stay home if they are sick or have a temperature. We are requesting now, per Maricopa County Guidelines, that students do not attend class if anyone in their home has tested positive or been exposed to Covid-19 or has any of the following symptoms:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
We will require that the student is clear of conjunctivitis and head lice for 24 hours before returning to class.
- What happens if a student or staff tests positive for Covid-19?
Please let us know so we can notify anyone you may have had contact with at the studio. We also ask both students and staff to provide a negative test result before returning to the studio. The CDC guidelines for cleaning and disinfecting will be implemented.
- What happens if a student or staff lives shows no symptoms of Covid-19, but lives with someone who tested positive for Covid-19?
Please let us know and quarantine for at least 14 days following CDC guidelines.
Permission is granted to take or receive photos or videos of students, friends, and family to be used in brochures, websites, posters, videos, ads, etc. Permission is hereby granted for PYT to copyright such photos (for safety purposes, actors will not be identified by name).
In the event of illness or injury occurring to my child while participating with Phoenix Youth Theatre, LLC (and relating trading names), I hereby give my consent for medical or dental care deemed necessary by the attending health care provider or dentist. My child may be examined and any necessary procedures (medical, dental or surgical), anesthesia or diagnostic procedures (lab or x-ray) may be performed under the supervision of a member of the hospital or medical office staff furnishing such services. I further acknowledge that I am financially responsible for any medical, dental, ambulance or other health care expenses or transportation of my child home, which might occur as a result of such illness or injury. I understand that, in the event of major illness or injury, reasonable effort will be made to contact me.
I, for myself, my heirs and assigns do hereby release, absolve, indemnify, and hold harmless Phoenix Youth Theatre and its staff, volunteers, and other officials from any liability, now or in the future, occurring on or around studio premises, or at any function held at other locations in connection with dance, music, or theatre in which the student(s) named below is/are enrolled. Parents, legal guardians of minor students, and adult students all waive the right to any legal action.
There is no expectation of parent participation during the rehearsal period of PYT shows, however parents will expected to assist one night during tech and one (or more) performances.
During the lead up to the show, there will be many opportunities to jump in and help at the studio while your child is in rehearsal. We will be sending a list of dates when the show prep will take place and could use all the help we can get.